Skip to main content

Christmas

I love Christmas. It is such a fantastic time of year. My favourite parts are the gift giving and spending time with the family. I love giving people gifts, it really is my favourite part. I like to make all my gifts as I think handmade is always more special and more from the heart.
In Durban, on Christmas day, we are normally swimming and eating Christmas lunch/dinner in our costumes. I don't mind, it's nice relaxing by the pool and enjoying the time with the family. This year, for lunch, we are having turkey, ham, potato salad and a mixed salad. Very awesome, very simple. I'm not into spending all of Christmas day in the kitchen.
Onto the gifts:
For the teachers this year I used an idea from Skip to My Lou. http://www.skiptomylou.org/?s=plant+picks
The file you download is great, as you can change the name to your child's name and print it out. I printed it out onto card; laminated it; cut it out, it's really hard cutting a circle perfectly, if you have a punch that's big enough then use it. Then I stuck ribbon to make it look like flower petals. It looked so cute and I really wish I had taken some pictures. I then stuck two circles together with a skewer stick in the middle. It was so quick to make and really effective.  Buying a pot plant is not expensive, so it's a great gift to make if your budget is really tight. Skip to My Lou has such fantastic ideas, so take a look. http://www.skiptomylou.org/
Nathaniel's two main teachers also got other gifts. I made them each a mug organiser, which sounds confusing, but basically it is a cover that fits over a mug and turns it into a organiser. I think I should rethink the name!

Nathaniel also made Candy cane Reindeers. I got the idea from Martha Stewart. http://www.marthastewart.com/article/good-thing-candy-cane-reindeer
We just changed it slightly as you're supposed to use felt and we used cardboard. It was nice, as Nathaniel coloured it in and decorated it himself. Some of the glitter glue he used, dripped a little on the face and he said it was a tear drop.
The third thing I put in was a little chocolate and then wrapped it. I utilised my paper crimper and all the little bits and bobs I had in my cupboard. They are all different and here is a picture of just one. They looked so cute. When I fetched Nathaniel, his main teacher came up to me and gave me a big hug, saying that the gifts were so fantastic and because they were handmade, they were even more special.
I am loving my paper crimper. It took me such a long time to find one and when I did, I was so excited. I've seen so many projects on the internet using a paper crimper. Even Nathaniel enjoys using it. He woke up one morning at 4:30am to ask if we could please do some paper crimping. Lucky for him, his sister had woken me up a half an hour earlier so I was awake, in a sense.

Now that the teachers are done, it's on to the family. My problem is that not everyone in my family appreciate handmade gifts. My hardest is trying to make things for the men. I end up buying for them, as it's just easier. Last year I gave the two dads a heat therapy pillow, among other things.
The kids are sometimes the easiest as there are so many things that you can make for them. I wanted to make my two kids, plus my one nephew, a hobby horse. I have started cutting them out and now I'm doubting myself. I'm wondering if they would play with them and a few other doubts.
I think I should look at other things to make with the spongebob fabric. I actually don't like spongebob, but the kids do, so I got the spongebob fabric in pink, blue and red.
As for the rest of the family, I can't say just in case they read this! Hope that you have a wonderful Christmas.
If you hear some really loud, off key singing, that us, practising our Christmas carols:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Fabric!

I went to buy some fabric for an order and came back with much more than I actually needed. So many exciting fabrics. It was so reasonably priced and I just couldn't say no. I've already made so many taglets, and sold some too. I think I might make some crayon rolls as well. I also bought some spongebob and hello kitty, but that's for my little ones.

Craft market - Lambert Road Baptist

Yesterday I was at a craft market at Lambert Road Baptist Church. The day started out so hot! It also ended hot. It was the first hot day we had in a few days. Lucky for us we were in a hall, so no sunburn! Nicholas had made me such wonderful peg boards to display some of my items and to give us more space on the table. The market started out very quietly, but a few people started coming in. I sold quite a few things. The crayon rolls, tissue holders, taglets and note books always being the most popular. The other things that I love are the Christmas tins. The Santa and the Snowman. I also have reindeer but they've already been sold. I sold a Santa and I was so happy. I use the tins to either put cutlery or treats in. They are also nice as a hamper, which we did last Christmas. We put in mince pies, shortbread, choclates and other little things. I also have made Roll-up Kitchen playmats. People seem to love them but never buy them, I guess they need some tweaking. There wer

Nappy cakes - Great gift for a new mom!

Nappy cakes are fantastic gifts for a new mom. The nappies are formed in such a way that they resemble a cake. They can be as simple as nappies with a beautiful bow or as extravagant as nappies, blankets, baby shoes, Taglets and much more. So, if you need a gift for a new mom, this is an unique idea. Each nappy cake is personalised according to your budget and theme. Look at the pictures below for a few ideas. Girl & Winnie the Pooh nappy cake  The specification for this nappy cake was pink, silver & white and Winnie the pooh. The lady provided the nappies for the cake, which were pampers newborn. The price for this type of cake is R260.  The shoes were just so cute!  The back of the cake.  Top view  This was the bottom layer.  A view of the middle layer.  A view of the top layer. Cute little shoes!!! Ladybug cake  This was done for a very special friend. Her theme was bugs and so when I found these incredibly cute shoes, the theme was born. Thi